Hysteroscopy - Polypectomy - D&C

I wasn't able to get even one article in the amazing world of Google on the 3 procedures I did last week. They are usually done separately and due to different reasons. So I thought I should share what I went through.

I have been on General Anaesthetics several times since 2006. The first time was to remove my appendix, 2nd was to remove my endometriosis, 3rd time was because the doctor 'thought' that I had a recurrence of the endo, but when they opened up, it was just liquid accumulation in adhesions formed due to my previous surgeries. 4th time was for my egg extraction last year as part of my IVF, and recently for the 3 procedures I did last week.

1. Hysteroscopy is a procedure that allows your doctor to look inside your uterus in order to diagnose and treat causes of abnormal bleeding. Hysteroscopy is done using a hysteroscope, a thin, lighted tube that is inserted into the vagina to examine the cervix and inside of the uterus.

2. Polypectomy is the removal of a polyp. The most common types of polypectomy are uterine polypectomy and colon polypectomy.

3. Dilation and curettage (D&C) is a procedure to remove tissue from inside your uterus. Doctors perform dilation and curettage to diagnose and treat certain uterine conditions — such as heavy bleeding — or to clear the uterine lining after a miscarriage or abortion. 

Why he did it - I had non-stop bleeding and dark brown discharge all the time. I did pap smear before, so that rules out Cervical Cancer, but it does not rule out other more complicated cancers in the uterus. So during the procedure, the doctor took out a lining sample, and I should be able to get a result by next week. Lets hope for the best. 

Pain Level - None to very little. I was on GA during the procedure, and even after the procedure, I was fine. It was a bit hard to poop, but I did better on my 3rd day. On my 3rd and 4th day however, my tummy got bloated and I was in a bit of pain, probably because I didn't watch what I ate at all. So I took better care of myself starting the 4th day, and it got better. No cold drinks (I had ice cream on my second day; stupid huh), no seafood, fish is OK, but limited to certain 'non-itchy' ones, no eggs and tea (I had so many during the first 3 days). During the bloating, it wasn't exactly painful, but very uncomfortable, and I was mostly scared/paranoid if I overdid anything, it will go to bad.

Recovery time - He gave me 8 days medical leave, but from my online search, I should probably be careful till about 2 weeks minimum, to 44 days (like how they do it for post D&C due to pregnancy loss) So I should probably be watching my diet and limit my physical activities till then.

I am so bored at home, but I am enjoying every minute of being useless. It is 12.41pm, but I am still in my PJs. :P

Comments

Popular Posts