Tried and tested recipe from Nigella's. For the sweet toothed, coz its really sweet and rich in flavour. I had this with the girls during the Baby Shower, and even brought it to the office coz it turned out to be quite huge. Enjoy!
335 gm (2 1/4 cup) flour
1 tsp baking powder
180 gm butter
495 gm caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
Juice of 1 lemon
Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
1/2 cup yogurt or milk
For Lemon Syrup:
2 extra lemons, juice and rind
1/2 cup sugar
Preheat oven 160C
1. Sift flour, baking powder into a bowl. Repeat 3-5 times.
2. Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar till light & fluffy
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
4. Add vanilla and lemon rind
5. Stir in yogurt & lemon juice, alternating w. flour mix till just combined
6. Bake for 40 minutes
7. Stand in cake tins for 10 minutes, drizzle with 1/2 of lemon syrup, before turning out on wire rack to cool completely.
8. Brush remaining syrup.
1. Combine syrup ingredients and put in a pan over low heat
2. Simmer till sugar is dissolved
3. Set aside to cool.
1. I think that the cake alone is sweet, so I skipped the Lemon Syrup. But its totally up to you though. Instead of the syrup, you could opt for cheese frosting.