This recipe is actually a mix of my own and Nigella's. Its easy to make, and tastes extremely gorgeous. And I'm not at all exagerating. I don't think I'll ever buy Lasagne again after this, when I know I have the perfect recipe for it, and can make much much more at a fraction of the price and for the family to enjoy. This recipe is for 6-8 persons (4"x4")
300g Lasagne sheets
2 cups Parmesan cheese (shredded)
2 cups Mozarella cheese (shredded)
Meat Sauce Ingredients:
800 g minced beef
2 onions (chopped)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup water
1 large can tomato puree
2 large cans whole tomatoes
2 generous dashes of Italian Mix herbs
10 olives, sliced (optional)
salt and black pepper to taste
Meat Sauce Method:
1. Heat oil, and saute onions till fragrant. Add in beef and cook till browned.
2. Add all other ingredients, and simmer on medium heat till thickened or not too liquidish.
3. Cool down to further thicken.
Bechamel Sauce Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
4 cups milk
1 studded onion (onion pierced with 3-4 cloves)
1 basil leave
a dash of thyme
salt and white pepper to taste
Bechamel Sauce Method:
1. Melt butter, and when foam forms, add the flour. Stir thoroughly for about 3 minutes. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
2. In a separate boiler, scald the milk (heat up till almost boiled).
3. Bring back butter and flour mix to heat, add milk quickly, and stir quickly to avoid lumping. Add the rest of ingredients, stir and cook further till thick. Set aside to cool.
1. Cook Lasagne sheets according to box instructions, drain and sit in cold water.
2. Assemble the Lasagne:
a. Meat Sauce
b. Lasagne sheet
c. Meat Sauce
e. Bechamel Sauce
3. And back to step (a) till the brim of the casserole dish. For the last layer, however, swap the Mozarella and Parmesan, for the natural golden finish after baking.
4. Bake at 200 deg Celcius for 40 minutes. After baking, let it stand for 20 minutes to set. Fantastic!
1. Its very important to sit the cooked Lasagne sheets in cold water to ensure it doesn't stick and is easier to deal with.
2. I also add a bit of oil into the boiling water when cooking the Lasagne sheets.
3. I had this with a simple tossed salad with a dressing I made up on my own. See Recipe 10.